I really wish I had snapped a picture of my mother’s day outfit. I mean, it was stunning. First off, a painter’s balaclava, old long sleeve shirt, ratty jeans, goggles, and a face mask. Where was the red carpet when I needed it?
Enough sarcasm! Let’s update…I was on a deadline to finish up the ceiling painting because I wanted to have that completed before the contractors came though to refinish the wood floors. This is logical…if I screwed up the process of using my new handy dandy paint sprayer on the ceiling, the mess would simply be sanded off into oblivion.
This meant priming the ceiling with oil-based primer. I did this using a roller because I didn’t want to go through the hassle of using my sprayer for the first time and having to clean it up with mineral spirits. Yuck. Saturday I taped up the floors and primed. Sunday I re-read the paint sprayer instructions for the third time and mustered up the courage to dive in. I taped up plastic sheeting (this took two hours) to make sure there wouldn’t be any overspray onto the rest of the living room. The process went fairly well once I got the hang of how to hold the sprayer and how long it went without having to unclog the nozzle or refill the paint container.
There are a few spots I need to touch up, as well as the disappointing dry wall patch, but I am trying to Let It Go.
Also, after everything dried on Sunday evening, my partner and I rushed to move all the furniture and get our kids ready to live downstairs for three days while the hardwood floor was refinished.
I didn’t think this transition would be a big deal since we were already living without a real kitchen, but it was tough. We have no space to give each other space. But, we made it through and I was so impressed with the job they did patching the holes in the floor and sanding and sealing it all. It is beautiful (and already has some scuffs and dents, but that is Life).
Here’s a picture after the patching, and the first run of sanding, letting the slurry coat dry. The slurry coat fills in the cracks and dries like glue.
Here’s a mid-way finish shot, with the hardener drying:
Here’s final shot:
Actually, I may have those last two photos backwards. Either way, I love my floors!
Next post will be on the beginnings of cabinet assembly and island construction.